 General / 10962
Re: Enough trans-antifreeze!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 00:38:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dan Bobrovsky writes:
Just because they are  in the 68** or 69** does not mean they have to be
space...  Are there not Unitron sets in the 17** ???

Promotional or limited (US only, or not-world-wide at any rate)
sets are often given numbers outside of their usual range.  The
unusual number of the Unitron sets makes sense from that
perspective.

It's true that set numbers are not inviolate.  The Wild West sets
took a range of numbers that had previously been reserved for
space minifig and landing plate sets - the 6700 range.  They
kinda goofed that up - as you look at 6704, 6705, 6706, you see
wild west sets interspersed with minifig packs.

But be that as it may, you could argue that LEGO's trained
monkey had a brain seizure when it decided to number the
Wild West sets in that range.  Nobody would argue that
the sets with cowboy hats and indian teepees are space sets
just because of their numbers.

I'm not contending what the box says...  I'm saying in my opinion I've never
felt they belonged... just because Lego Say doesn't mean its right...

sort of like throwbots in technic...  I feel they cheapin the line of amazing
technic kits but lego choose because of part types to call it technic...
doesn't mean it was right!!!

I almost agree with that.  Throwbots are so removed from Technic
that they could easily have been given their own category.  They
weren't, though, and they do have technic elements along with the
ball-joint elements that make them what they are.

OK, so you're saying that, while Insectoid sets are *technically*
a part of Space, they aren't *emotionally* a part of space, for
you.

I can't argue with that, except to say, golly, they
look pretty Spacey sci-fi (helmets, rocket engines, that sort
of thing) to me.

For my own part, I'd argue that, emotionally, by not relying
so much on the UFO saucer sections, these sets  are a shade
MORE "Space LEGO" than the UFO sets are.  Just like Mac
enthusiasts used to look at software and make opinions on how
"mac-like" the software was, I a gut instinct that tells me
that large pieces like the UFO hulls (and pirate ship hulls)
aren't quite as "LEGO" as, say, bricks and plates.  But both
of the alien lines are Space, technically.  Surely we're agreed
on that.  And they both share the same semantic space,
emotionally, as well, for me.

Flying saucers vs. flying bugs...   I know which one sounds like space
to me!!

Flying saucers vs giant android bugs from another planet -- they
both sound like space to me.  =)

by the way though:
Ninja is castle to me!!

Whew - we agree on that.  =)