 Space / 25171
Re: The Flame and The Lance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:50:50 GMT

WOW.

I had seen the wallpaper image that included both of these behemoths
together and it just knocked my socks off.  In particular that wallpaper
does an AMAZING job of giving not only a sense of immense scale but also
of a purposeful battle group.  I'm just absolutely giddy at the site of
this.  Inspired, awed, and terribly, terribly respectful once again of
the dexterity Lego can achieve in the hands of of someone who knows how
to exploit the bricks.

What really grabs me with both of these efforts is the completeness of
design and the complexity of details you've brought out in micro-fig
scale.  What I mean by completeness is that these don't look like
floating city blocks, ie. unrelated shape ideas that are thrown together
at the expense of a unified design vision.  There's a cinematic 'beauty'
and density to these that really makes me long to see them filmed in
motion from various points of view that gradually 'reveal' details and
structural sections.  I'd say the hanger area on the Flame is the one
area where things aren't perfectly in harmony simply because the
proportions seem in conflict.  The vast exterior scale is so powerfully
realized that I wouldn't expect the hanger bay to be so cavernous in
comparison.

Something really special about both of these ships is subtle play of
form and function.  I'm in love with the way that the mechanical
functionality of the inner workings meld, slide, and disappear beneath
the outer skin.  There's a tangible sense that the final appearance of
the ship is governed by the size and shape of the machinary inside
that's required to make the whole thing work.  Details like that really
pull both ships into the realm of believability rather than pure fantasy
where anything goes.  I'm in love with the little tubular projections
along the sides of the bow on the Flame and the maw-like vision of teeth
enclosing the multiple 'forked-tongue' gun barrels on the Lance.  The
play of light and shadow on the latter is tremendous and is another
brilliant cinematic touch; the lattice-like 'teeth' has me drooling.
Even better are the little holes that crop up on the bottom jedi
starfighter curved slope bricks that replicate the feel of thousands of
windows.

Man... I can't say enough.  I'll ask if you could try taking some more
pictures at higher resolutions.  The pictures you've already shared are
magnificent, but this is so good that like a dog I want to wallow and
shoulder-roll through it.

Thank you for sharing!

-Brian Reynolds