 Space / 22735
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:22:16 GMT

Wow, A huge Star Trek Lego ship that big in minifig scale would be really
cool (and really challenging!).  I look forward to following your progress
and let us know as soon as you get some sketches up!

Since we're on the subjects of Star Trek ships, a few years ago I made a
small minifig-scale ship based heavily off the designs of the Enterprises.
It was pretty small, (only 78 studs from front to back) but it was the
biggest thing I had built up to that time and it was pretty cool.  If you
want to check it out I just finished putting it up on my site and you can
find it here:
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~pakbazsc/otherlego.html

"I have never encountered anything that could not be modeled out of Lego."
-Stephen Pakbaz

In lugnet.space, Jeffrey Benson writes:
Hi guys & gals! I want to say first, "long time reader, first time poster."
In brief, the Star Wars line reawkened my Lego craze from its dormant stage,
although I haven't been active in building (I did build an E-Wing and an
8-middle-section Pirate ship -- both on my Brickshelf account), I have been
following the community on Brickshelf, Lugnet, and FBTB for quite some time now.

Recently, I was struck by inspiration. Well, not inspiration so much as a
table -- I bumped into one of those folding leg tables at Office Depot. I
thought, "wow, when I move, I could build something big on one of these."
Why when I move? Well, at the moment I'm in a VERY small studio apartment
north of Baltimore -- in June, I move to a two-bedroom (so I can actually,
you know, walk around without tripping over stuff).

So anyways, I thought about the table, and my desire to build something big
out of Lego. And so these thoughts festered through my brain as I endured
the beginning of the spring semester, and countless snow days ... and then
something happened. Star Trek IV SE came out on DVD. And I bought it, and
I watched it, and inspiration just sort of struck me ... that is to say, a
Lego Starship flew out of the wall and cracked me in the head (well, no).

But I was, and am, inspired! A Lego "Star Trek" starship, in mini-fig
scale. My goal is to build as accurate a representation of a TOS Movie Era
starship (of an original design) as I can. So I started brainstorming --
okay, what do I need? Well, the obvious ones came to mind: I need a Main
Bridge, Main Engineering, Transporter Rooms, Sickbay ... I need crew &
officer's quarters, I need science labs, I need a turbolift system! The not
so obvious: I need a computer core, life-sciences monitoring, water tanks,
shuttlebay, cargobay, cargo transporter, morgue, brig ...

--Jeff Benson
jbenso1@towson.edu