 Space / 23264
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:47:21 GMT

Well well.  It is the glorious Malnurtured Snay.  You do seem to pop up in
all of my hang out spots, don't you Jeff?  hehehe.  This new project sounds
pretty cool, but I have to see the end result of your last one.  The
hogwarts school, if I remember correctly.  Oh well.  If I may make one
suggestion.  As you well know, there are far too many generic types of
starships floating around in Star Trek already.  I think this new model of
yours would really stand out if you would make it so that it is meant to
fill out some kind of specialized purpose.

Alex, I'm dissapointed that it took you this long to see this thread, fool! :D

I decided to delay Hogwarts when I learned Book Five was coming out.  I'd
hate to build a huge construction, only to destroy half the thing to
incorporate details of Hogwarts that emerge in Books Five, Six, and Seven.
My hope is that the delay between "GoF" and "OotP" will not be the same for
the rest of the series!  :)  Also, this will give me more time to accumulate
the dark grey bricks and BURPS that I need for the base (and given how much
stuff is located UNDER the castle, I need lots o' stuff!), as well as the
tan and sand green bricks I need for the castle itself.

In a way, the Okazaki *is* meant to fill a specialized purpose -- research
in a potentially hazardous zone, where Starfleet cannot afford to detach a
larger ship to guard a dedicated science-vessel (in my mind, a ship of the
Okazaki's class should have been sent to the Genesis planet in Star Trek
III).  I visualize the ship as a modified Constellation-Class (Picard's
"Stargazer" for the non-totally-geek oriented): take the saucer, add a
secondary hull emerging from the year (equal in length to the saucer), and
move the quad nacelles so that instead of being mounted top and bottom,
they're mounted side and side.  Also include an above-mounted sensor
pallette and an exterior-docked runabout, and you might be able to picture
the ship :D  (Yes, I've redesigned the ship since my original post).

Good to hear from you, Alex!  We should get our Starcraft on :)

--Jeff