 Space / 23257
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:13:04 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:
There might be something intersting for you here:

Yes, I've seen it.  It has a nice exterior design, but IMO, the interior is
lacking, and that's something I'd like to remedy on my own ship.

I have never undertook a Really Large Ship, but I can give basic design
principles:

1.  Don't get boxy.  Boxiness can really kill a huge ship.
2.  Make an internal support structure.  Use technic beams or the like the
support the various parts of the ship and keep them from breaking,
stretching, etc.  You can find some ideas here:
http://lego.kepplah.com/?m=myase&sub=destruction
and here:
http://www.zemi.net/lego/bardiel/
(cool new site, Jon)

I'm trying not to be boxy!  My biggest problem is going to be with the
saucer -- it has two decks stacked atop each other, with the "Bridge Dome"
on top, and I'm afraid that the octagonal shape I'm using will give it some
boxiness ... but here's hoping not!

3.  Don't skimp on details- make the outside a big, general shape, (no
boxiness!) and fill in cracks and corners with greeblies.  However, don't
count on greeblies to flesh out the form of the ship.  You need a basic
shape in mind.

Oh, believe me, I do!  :)  If I ever get access to a scanner, I'll upload my
graph-paper designed layout to my Brickshelf gallery.  That said, since this
is a Starfleet ship, there aren't a lot of places to PUT greeblies ... (and
since I won't be able to lift this ship, I'm not going to bother decorating
the underside, which will be flat on the table, anyway).  Essentially, the
only greebling opportunities I have are on the Deflector Dish, phaser
emitters, sensors, transporter emitters, and the warp nacelles and impulse
engine ... well, come to think of it, I've also got airlocks, shuttle and
cargo bay doors, and striping to do, so I guess I've got more greebling to
do than I thought!  Oy!

4.  Plan the interior as well.  With all that space, an interior can really
shine.

Oh yes!  I have a base layout completed, but I'm going to redo it as I found
a larger table which means I can have a larger saucer, too :D  I also plan
on working up "study models" of corridors and interior spaces, so that I can
keep a consistent feel to the ship.

5.  Build a framework first, since you don't want to make any mistakes on
the body first.

This is, as I mentioned earlier, a long-long-long term project (most likely
a year, once I begin construction).  When I do begin construction on the
hull (after I do the Bridge - plug-in module; shuttlecraft, shuttlepods,
workbees, and escape pods; and the runabout), I plan on building the Deck D
hull, then laying out the interior and building that before building the
Deck C hull, and continuing like that until it's time to place the Bridge.
Then I'll build the sensor pallette and quad-nacelles.

Just some tips...

They're very much appreciated!  Thank you for your time!  :)

-JHK

--JPB