 Space / 22746
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:53:29 GMT

Wow, A huge Star Trek Lego ship that big in minifig scale would be really
cool (and really challenging!).  I look forward to following your progress
and let us know as soon as you get some sketches up!

I'm very much looking forward to those challenges -- I enjoy large scale
projects which take time to develop.  I'm enlisting help from some friends
in California, and in addition to making decals and the such, I'm going to
try to get someone to translate my pencil & paper floorplans into Adobe ...
at the very least, I'll try and get 'em to scan the stuff in (I don't have a
scanner, and since I'm also in Baltimore, this will present some time
delays).  :)

I've decided to re-do my sketches, since I realized my original intent of
doing an up-sloping saucer is flawed ... plus, I'd like to include an
exterior-docked runabout to provide extra cover for research missions (the
Okazaki sends the runabout ahead to do preliminary sensor sweeps while
finishing up, say, a planetary survey mission).

Since we're on the subjects of Star Trek ships, a few years ago I made a
small minifig-scale ship based heavily off the designs of the Enterprises.
It was pretty small, (only 78 studs from front to back) but it was the
biggest thing I had built up to that time and it was pretty cool.  If you
want to check it out I just finished putting it up on my site and you can
find it here:
http://www.rose-hulman.edu/~pakbazsc/otherlego.html

OMG!  Not only do I really like that (I tried to do something VERY similar -
with the saucer parts from the Falcon - but abandoned it after I moved), but
I was looking at your Neptune ship sketches earlier today between classes!

"I have never encountered anything that could not be modeled out of Lego."
-Stephen Pakbaz

PS -- I really love your quote.  And since we're on the subject of quotes,
allow me to present the Okazaki's dedication plaque motto.  I'm not sure
where it comes from (I saw it on another BB and wrote it down).

"What is steel, compared to the hand that wields it, what is the hand
without a mind to command it?"

Also -- totally off-topic ... is there a "user control panel" or something
so that I can set my password to post automatically?

Thanks for the comments!

Jeff Benson
jbenso1@towson.edu