 Space / 23260
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:25:29 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeffrey Benson writes:

I'm 24 ... I came "out" about four years ago, but due to my complete lack of
space (I live in a studio), my Lego collection has been stored in the
closet.  I move this summer to a two-bedroom apartment, and the larger
bedroom is getting turned into my computer/Lego room.  My biggest problem
(at the moment) is finding a table large enough to hold the Okazaki ... I
actually lucked out, surfing through Staples inventory: found a folding leg
table 36" by 72" ... perfect!  Previously, the widest I could find them was
30", which would give me a hecka squished saucer :)

I live in a 2 room townhouse and my spare bedroom is my Lego Storage
Facility (LSF) and building room.
The table I am building on is 30" x 90". So I have plenty of room.

I don't know how to build this ship modularly, and I didn't design it to be
modular (of course, now I have to re-do the design for the wider saucer).
I'm using my "layouts" (done on graph paper) as a guide for what goes where
... I think the most fun is going to be the interior detailing ... my
biggest pet-peeve about Lego ships is the lack of corridor detailing!!!
Silly, huh?  And then Dan Jassim goes and makes cool corridors.  I don't
know whether to laugh or cry, but I'm obsessing over hallways ... oy.

I am not an expert at modularizing myself. This project is going be a lot of
trial and error. I have no time table to complete it, except before I drop
dead of old age. I agree, I liked Dan's corridors also. I am a very detail
oriented person. I also plan on lighting the inside at strategic places.

Wow!  That's a great site, and that is certainly a cool looking ship!  :)
Best of luck on your project, I can't wait to see it!  I'm going to link to
your Brickshelf Gallery when I get home so that I can watch your progress.

I do not have a Brickshelf Gallery yet, or a digital camera, or a working
scanner, but I will be taking a lot of color pictures the old fashioned way,
and post them later. I am planning on purchasing a digital camera in August.

--Jeff Benson

Steven Weiser