 Space / 22730
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:43:33 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jeffrey Benson writes:

Um.  Format?  LOL.  I'm sort of a computer luddite here, please bear with me :)

No prob. There are a couple of formats that I can send to you for use as a
graphic.

EPS-usualy sharper, tho at the size of minifig torsos, that may not really
matter.

JPG-it's basically a photo. This one is good if you want a small file.

I've got that somewhere too.  The only problem I had in laying out the ship
was with the engine room ... I was reminded that a ship of the TOS movie era
would have a vertical intermix chamber, as well as a horizontal warp core,
so I had to do some redesigning.  Yay.

That was one of the problems I thought about when I was playing with the
thought of building a ship, tho it would be neat to try to do microfig
renditions of the sets, especially engineering. 1x1 trans blue round bricks
would be great for the warp core.

Don't use Lego lighting...it's much cheaper to go off-brand.

Ack.  I have no experience with lighting at all ... is there a site you're
aware of, by chance, titled something like "lighting Lego models with
non-Lego lighting for nOObs?"

lol, no...but basically, what could be done is to place flashlight bulbs in the
warp nacelles (at minifig size, I would assome they would be hollow). Just go
to your local Radio shack and get a cheap flashlight and take it apart.

any Work Bees:)?

I hadn't been planning on it ... but now you've got my creative juices
boiling!  A workbee would be a great idea ... it's essentially just a pod
with grappling arms, right?  Do it in a nice yellow (orange would, IMO, look
better) ...

Pretty much, but the pod is a wedge shape. And while yellow is the common
color, orange would look pretty sharp.

I'm going to try this weekend to post pictures of a "corridor concept" to
give you an idea of what the interior would look like.  I'm really excited
... I've got an "exposed piping" system really gives the ship a utilitarian
feel.

Looking forward to seeing it! I'm curious to see this project grow!

Joe Meno (who is STILL looking...at this rate I could have recreated the
uniform files:)!)

Jeff Benson
jbenso1@towson.edu