 Space / 23194
Re: USS Okazaki NCC-1960 WIP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 04:40:38 GMT

In lugnet.space, John Henry Kruer writes:

I have never undertook a Really Large Ship, but I can give basic design
principles:

1.  Don't get boxy.  Boxiness can really kill a huge ship.
2.  Make an internal support structure.  Use technic beams or the like the
support the various parts of the ship and keep them from breaking,
stretching, etc.
3.  Don't skimp on details- make the outside a big, general shape, (no
boxiness!) and fill in cracks and corners with greeblies.  However, don't
count on greeblies to flesh out the form of the ship.  You need a basic
shape in mind.

As an addendum to these points - I have found from experience that slopes
are the ideal way to get a graceful shape with a strong underlying
structure, but will be heavy and use lots of bricks. On the other hand,
sloped panels (SNOT) are a good lighter alternative, but I feel they need
more work to look as good, and typically won't be as strong (unless you're
good with Technic). The guideline I go by is: <strong,light,curved>- Pick
Any Two.

4.  Plan the interior as well.  With all that space, an interior can really
shine.
5.  Build a framework first, since you don't want to make any mistakes on
the body first.

Again, what I'd want to stress is that one considers making a ship that can
come apart as modules (perhaps with Technic pegs) to all easy display and
access to interior detail. One thing that always looms in the future is the
idea of setting some sort of story in your spaceship, and if you can't get
decent photo/video footage of the interiors it seriously limits this.

Just some tips...

-JHK

Good stuff. I can't wait for someone to fill out our .space "Building Tips"
link - that thing could really be a building bible. Hmm, we could have
chapters on:

Big Ships
Fighters
Microscale