 Robotics / 18647
RE: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 18:37:46 GMT

On cursory reading, the first problem I have with this is that
the interconnect protocol is run so slowly.

Why only 2400 baud?

Anything where you have an actual copper wire connection
could run orders of magnitude faster.  Heck even iRDA goes
faster over infraRed.

<just an opinion>

The 2400 baud rate was probably chosen as a compromise between
speed and what could reasonably be done on the teeny leetle
PIC processor that drive the bricks.

In practice, with the dedicated protocol that Wayne describes, you
can get quite a bit of work done with only a few small messages.

I would expect that the typical robot would not run up against these
speed limits too often.

When designing an embedded system like this, there is a constant
tradeoff between speed, cost, power, and size and it's pretty hard
to juggle them to everyone's satisfaction.

This scheme is pretty neat and I think it makes the compromises
in such a way that most users needs are met.

I'm already trying to figue out a way to use a sensor port to
bit bang messages to and from the RCX...

Cheers, Ralph