 Robotics / 18648
Re: measuring motor voltage on sensor input
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 19:43:00 GMT

Quoting Paul Andrews <paul@jools.net>:

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
In lugnet.robotics, John Gerlach writes:
As far as detecting an overload state, the sensor input circuitry will • only
measure 0 - 5 volts, so while the motor supply is greater than 5 volts
(assuming it's set to the proper direction to avoid the ground short • already
mentioned), the input will appear to be just pegged at 1023. By the time • the
motor output has dropped to below 5 volts thus giving you something to
measure other than 1023, your motor and batteries will really be working
hard!

How about a simple resistive divider across the motor output, say two 1 Kohm resistors, with the motor on the top of the two and the sensor input on the midpoint, so it sees the battery divided by two? (The resistor values need to be chosen with consideration to the sensor input resistance and I don't have those schematics in front of me but 1K is at least a reasonable guess.)

Bruce

RealTime Embedded Java