 Robotics / 18628
Re: LEGO Purism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:41:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Paul Andrews writes:

I too like working within the existing constraints. It makes you creative.
Still. I'd kill for a stall sensor.

Despite my urge to make new and better(?) sensors, Lego makes a stall sensor!

Stick a rotation sensor in the drive train and timeout a change in count
value. (Same way as automated braking system do.)

JB

Yes. Guess I'm going to have to do it. The more I think about it. The more
attractive the programming and mechanical issues become. Like:

I have a two-motor setup. How do I monitor both or do I go for a synchro
drive instead?

Do I want to detect slip as well as stall?

How do I determine that the motor is stalled v. just plain stopped?

etc.

Darned. And I thought I'd finished my light-sensing object avoiding robot.
(I use a single light sensor and the IR transmitter to perform proximity
detection and the same (single) light sensor to seek out bright areas.
There's a mechanical bumper on the back so that I can tell if I back up into
something. The problem I always have is that no touch/proximity sensor can
cope with all situations where the robot gets stuck - hence my interest in a
stall sensor).

Ideally I'd like a solid-state current sensor