 Robotics / 18640
Re: LEGO Purism
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 13:36:09 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I too like working within the existing constraints. It makes you creative.
Still. I'd kill for a stall sensor.

One way to do this, without adding any hardware is to check the internal
battery voltage.  I'm not sure if it's possible with the standard firmware
v2.0 (it wasn't possible with 1.0/1.5) but you can do it with replacemet
firmware, like BrickOS (formerly LegOS).

I've done it and had a great deal of success.  When the internal battery
voltage drops, there is some additional drain, like stalled or stressed motors.

You have to keep the 'normal' voltage up to date, and you also have to
ignore starting and stopping, but it does work.

I don't suppose you have some code for this do you? I tried this some while
back with no success :-(. I found that the battery voltage seemed to
fluctuate too much for me to be able to detect a stall condition with any
degree of certainty.

Still, the robot and software were a little complex. Maybe I should try it
again in a more controlled setup (less software and just one motor attached
to a brick for example).

Anyhow, seeing some code that actually works would be helpful.

Regards - Paul