 Robotics / 18554
Re: Spybotics vs Cricket
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:38:57 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.robotics, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
I was at TLC's presentation of Spybotics at BF. There, it was described
as, "the next generation of RCX." Knowing it has 2 sensor inputs and 2
motor outs,

The Spybot brick has 3 motor outputs.  A & B are the two built-in motors.
Output C is the VLL light (pretty much exactly like the Scout brick wrt the
third output).  You can also control the LEDs on an individual basis (3 red,
3 green, and 1 yellow).

It has the obvious 2 sensor inputs (1 touch and 1 light).  But it also has 3
IR sensors (2 at the front angled outward and 1 at the rear facing straight
back).  These allow the Spybot to not only sense IR but tell where it is
coming from with fairly impressive accuracy.  This array of sensors can be
read via program control as well.

Additionally, the Spybot brick has two IR transmitters facing forward (and
angled outward).

I wonder how much it's like the Media Lab's Cricket (their
next brick after the programmable brick that led to the RCX). And for
that matter, how it compares to Fred Martin's Handy Cricket (which works
with some, but not all LEGO sensors and is available for public
consumption).

IMHO, there is virtually no comparison between the Crickets of MIT and Fred
Martin and the Spybots.  The Spybot brick seems to be far more powerful
(albeit less flexible/expandable) than what you get with the Handy Cricket.

The primary downside to the built-in approach of the Spybot brick is that
you can't connect homebrew sensors or use all the sensor inputs as touch
sensors (as you can with the Scout and RCX bricks).  And you can't position
the motors wherever you wish.  It is certainly possible to use the Spybot
brick in a non-vehicle application with appropriate drive trains and/or
flexible axles.  The fixed position of the built-in sensors is probably more
of an issue.

If one were to invest in either Spybotics or a Handy Cricket, what would
you advise?

The Handy Cricket board costs $60.  No motors, sensors, or other
robot/vehicle building supplies.  The Spybot set costs $60.  You get 2
motors, 2 sensors, IR transmit/receive, LEDs, and around 200 parts for
building robots.  Plus you get a very cool software package for playing
games right out of the box.  And within days you get NQC, BricxCC,
MindScript, and LASM programming support.

To me its a no-brainer.  Buy the Spybots.  I'm saving up for 3 more.

John Hansen
http://members.aol.com/johnbinder/bricxcc.htm