 Robotics / 18657
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 11 Aug 2002 22:18:08 GMT

Steve,
    Thanks for the quick feed back : )   Please take a look below ...  &
LMKWYT.
                        -JSM
Steve Baker <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
6.  A USB to I2C IAB
        Dunno how hard that is - but if we do it then we can use
        it to connect the IR brick to a PC...so we only need one
        IR brick type.

I was thinking that it could be used to hook up to joysticks,  gamepads,
mice, etc...

8.  A pneumatic valve IAB
        Dunno - isn't it easier to use an RC servo for this?

OK. How 'bout a solid-state relay IAB and I'll use it to drive solenoid
valve ?

  11.  A battery pack with sensing logic for short cicuits, overloads, • overheating,
       etc.  This should also have temperature and voltage sensors • readable via I2C
       (that's a single I2C chip!)

Yes !  Must have !

  12.  Depending on how the power is transmitted - if it's in the same • cable
       bundle as the I2C - then there needs to be an I2C-to-I2C connector • that
       DOESN'T transmit power across it.  You need this to safely add • multiple
       battery packs.

I figure they'd be seperate cables.  (see below)

  13.  Some way to make noises - there are sound chips for I2C - but we'd • also need
       a teeny-tiny speaker or something.

Yep, That'd be cool to : )

But that makes all of these dinky little 2x4 stud devices *MUCH* larger • and more
complex.  Do we really need this?

Not if we get people to agree on Node ID ranges for various devices or store
the ID's in flash.

I'd like most 'bricks' to be single I2C devices with a simple connector • for power
and I2C - plus whatever is their function.

agreed !

I'm not sure that gives us the connection density we need.  We need:

    Power
    Ground
    I2C SDA
    I2C SCL

I figure we can supply all four with 2 existing cables/connectors per
module.

1 for power
1 for I2C.  daisy chain them so you get the bus like you mentioned.

    The discussion so far has centered on electronics and communications
methods, but I think BrainStorms should extend LEGO(R) in the mechanical
sense as well.
I think it would be wise to make that a separate discussion.

OK.  I'm not in a hurry : )