 Robotics / 18663
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 06:39:23 GMT

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Steve Baker wrote:

Are you sure?   I thought Philips had teeny-tiny microprocessors with
I2C at least 10 years ago...before the I2C bus switched speeds from 100kbps
to 400kbps.  I2C is about 20 years old.

I did a project with the Philips chips several years ago.  I2C worked very
well, the smallest chip I used was a 87C751.  A little bit bigger than an
8-pin chip, but available in surface mount packages.  Also, a friend of
mine used a 751 as an I2C multiplexor, 1 bus in and 8 busses out.

My biggest problem with I2C is addressing.  Each device needs
needs to have its address pins properly set.

Address pins?  What address pins?

I think the addressing problem can be solved with random numbers and some
serious bus scanning.  Failing that, burning a serial number into each
chip isn't that hard either.  It would still require quite a bit of bus
scanning, but even if the startup took several seconds, I don't see it as
a problem.

-- Matt