 Robotics / 18675
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 15:52:50 GMT

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Wayne Gramlich wrote:

The I2C bus is not really designed to support a bus scan.
I'm not saying it can't be done, but I certainly haven't
figured out how to do it.  Until I see somebody who gives
an extremely detailed description of how they do it, I will
remain extremely skeptical.  No offense is intended here.

Since I had to support hot-pluggable devices on the bus (not my idea), I
had to continually scan the bus.  Unfortunately, that was several years
ago and I don't remember all of the details.  It took either a zero-length
read or a zero-length write followed by a check to see if the clock line
was being held by the slave device.  It worked well and seemed to be very
reliable, I had continuous scans running for weeks at a time on some
systems.

-- Matt