 Robotics / 18659
RE: Brainstorms GUID
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 04:06:40 GMT

Quoting "Russell C. Brown [RR-1]" <rcbrown@austin.rr.com>:

This may be totally off-base--I'm not as techy as you guys--but the
software
biz has the idea of a universally unique ID (UUID, a.k.a. GUID for
globally
unique ID).

Could you just generate a new UUID for each brick you manufacture and
hardwire it, put it in an EPROM, or something like that?

Well, one easy answer is to use a Dallas serial number chip. They are way less than a dollar in quantity. Actually each 1Wire device has a guaranteed unique ID. Some have EE memory for storing other data (you could add your own tagging information to each device node).

Of course this means you must support the 1Wire protocol...

Using your own EEPROM (such as the little Microchip 8-pin devices) means that someone somewhere must administer who gets what ID numbers.

Maybe you could adapt the Java approach to unique class names, where they are based on the company's web URL (guaranteed unique) such as
{highleveldomain}.{company}.{product}.{device}.{mfgr chosen 32 bit number stored in hex form). This would need say 64 bytes of storage and would handle 2**32 IDs per device. For example, Systronix jcx motor controller serial # 0x0a1b2c3d would be tagged as:
com.systronix.jcx.MotorControl.0a1b2c3d
This takes 39 characters, using a byte per character, 64 chars (or make it 128) would allow for long company, product, and device names.

Bruce Boyes

RealTime Embedded Java