 Robotics / 18681
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:46:49 GMT

Wayne Gramlich wrote:

That is only a partial bus scan.  It does not tell you what is at
each address.

A full bus scan allows people to plug arbitrary devices into the bus
and allows the bus master to to reliably figure out what has been
plugged in and where.  Bus conflicts are either designed out or
detectable.

It is fairly easy to find out what addresses are occupied on an I2C
bus.  Address conflicts may be detectable, but I sure do not know
how it is done.  Figuring out whether the user plugged in a serial
EEPROM, an A/D, or another microcontroller is the far harder task
to solve.  Again, I'm not saying it can't be solved, but until
someone really articulates how they plan on pulling it off, I will
remain skeptical of people who claim it is easy.

I thought Philips kept a master registry of all the hardwired I2C
addresses allocated to each chip vendor?   That should mean that just reading
the hardwired address is enough to tell you what *kind* of device you've
found.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net