 Robotics / 18645
RE: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 16:59:00 GMT

Wayne,

In the spec you indicate that each brick gets its own 128
bit random number. This is like a serial number that is
initially use to uniquely identify each brick with a shorter
BrickID.

This is a common technique in fire alarm systems where
each device is assigned a short ID from a larger serial number.

Why the random numbers?

Never mind, I just figured it out. You're allowing individuals
to build their own bricks so you have no control of how the
numbers get assigned.

I guess the probability of collisions is so low that you'd
never see a collision anyways....

Cheers, Ralph