 Robotics / 18599
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:29:17 GMT

I don't know too much about electronics and micro-computing but here are my
thoughts. For modularity I would use some kind of conector plate like the
ones for old motors. This connectors would provide electricity and
communication between bricks, lets say it would be a 2x8 brick with sapce
for a battery, 4 2x2 connectors and some connectors (don't know how many),
male on one side, female on the other (image1, please use your imagination,
I made them realy fast). The same modules with some chips or whatever would
be used as I/O. Over the basic one you would be able to connect motors or
sensor (basic or with some adapter), CPU, memory, IR, RF, Display and
buttons, etc. Maybe some 3x2 blocks could be produced as well or by
combining 2 basic connectors.
I will leave the guts for the BIG guys and I hope everybody will get the
idea.
Keep up the work,
Jonathan

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 5:34 PM
Subject: Brainstorms

Ok. I've seen a similar ebb and flow of ideas for modularization in this
newsgroup before. The difference, is that now, most people who are reading
this a probably well familiar with the RCX, Mindstorms, etc etc.

The subject of this post is intended as an invitation to anyone who would
like to contribute their ideas, wants, wishes, desires for a new direction
for managing a microcomputer controlled Lego creation. As far as I see it
there are only two real candidate architectures, modular and monolithic. I
regard the RCX as a monolithic structure in the sense that is the entire
core entity into which you plug motors and sensors. A modular approach, in
this context, would split that monolithic central "thing" into a number of
constituent entities, like power source, CPU, memory, sound making • devices,
displays etc etc.

Modular?

How do you connect them? By wires? By plugging modules together?
What sort of granularity is required? All semi-intelligent? One master • with
loads of dumb I/O slaves?
How do you supply power to all the modules? Independently? Along the • common
data communication interface (via the wires or plugging scheme mentioned • above)?
How does your software deal with the variable topology possible? Do • modules
somehow use some kind of dynamic address assignment(how does your software
know which motor controller is which?)? Do modules have preset addresses • or
IDs (do you really like those fiddly little DIP switches?)? Or do you have
some kind of initialization process to give them an ID they store • internally
in EEPROM (in which case they all look the same, and you have to try and
remember what ID you programmed into each one to be able to talk to it • again?)?

etc ... etc ... etc

Monolithic?

Do you want a bigger RCX? How big - 6 motors/12 sensors?
Assuming it uses 2x2 Lego style connectors, can it have connection studs • on;
just one face (top?)?, two faces (top and bottom to make it smaller? but
harder to build into a model!)?
Internal or external batteries/power?
How much memory?
Does it need a display? What sort?
Does it need buttons? How many?
Does it need both IR and RF comms?
Does it need to be able to comm with other ones of its own kind?

Please let your imagination wander and contribute your thoughts. Just
remember to keep practicality in the back of your mind when blue-skying
this. I may well decide to build a sample or two of what comes out of • this,
assuming something does. So it needs to be able to be done with existing
commonplace technology.

JB

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED: