 Robotics / 18598
RE: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:53:22 GMT

-----Original Message-----
From: John Barnes [mailto:barnes@sensors.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 4:34 PM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Brainstorms

<SNIP>

Please let your imagination wander and contribute your thoughts. Just
remember to keep practicality in the back of your mind when
blue-skying
this. I may well decide to build a sample or two of what
comes out of this,
assuming something does. So it needs to be able to be done
with existing
commonplace technology.

I favor a monolithic base with modular attributes.

More specifically (in no particular order):

a.  4 sensor ports
b.  4 motor ports
c.  One RS232 serial expansion port (want more I/O?  make a serial based
expander)
d.  System com port using RS232 with IR built in with external jack (that
wouldn't mess with IR)
e.  Pixel LCD display (might as well draw whatever you want on it)
f.  Power jack (something that interlocks and doesn't pop off)
g.  Firmware stored in non-volitile re-writable memory
h.  As close to 1 meg total memory as possible
i.  Removable battery bay (so if power jack is used, space is saved)

On a related note, one of my "when I get around to it" projects is to use a
GameBoy Color as a replacement RCX.  It has IR that can be used with the RCX,
color screen, plenty of buttons for "user interfacing", serial port, and a
cartridge connector so custom carts can be made with various amounts of memory
and I/O capabilities.

My son suggested the idea to me when he got a GB Advance for XMAS.  He got the
idea because it was yellow and thought it would be cool as an RCX.

- Rob