 Robotics / 18678
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 18:39:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, harbaum@tm.uka.de writes:
Hi,

[snip hot pluggable]

ago and I don't remember all of the details.  It took either a zero-length
read or a zero-length write followed by a check to see if the clock line
It's way simpler: You just send the address and wait for the acknowledged via
the data line. Then you just don't continue ... you don't even need read
access to the clock line for this.

That is only a partial bus scan.  It does not tell you what is at
each address.

A full bus scan allows people to plug arbitrary devices into the bus
and allows the bus master to to reliably figure out what has been
plugged in and where.  Bus conflicts are either designed out or
detectable.

It is fairly easy to find out what addresses are occupied on an I2C
bus.  Address conflicts may be detectable, but I sure do not know
how it is done.  Figuring out whether the user plugged in a serial
EEPROM, an A/D, or another microcontroller is the far harder task
to solve.  Again, I'm not saying it can't be solved, but until
someone really articulates how they plan on pulling it off, I will
remain skeptical of people who claim it is easy.

-Wayne