 Robotics / 18633
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:02:04 GMT

Richard Jenkins wrote:

The modular idea sounds cool, real cool.  At a minimum, it would be most
excellent if the batteries were in their own module and could be connected
to the 'brain' by a wire.  This would greatly aid in compact design and
assist in putting the weight of the robot in the bottom of the design where
it's needed for stability and the console at the top for accessability.

Also, for the Robot Sumo fanatics, they could have multiple battery packs
and many, many motors.  If the batteries aren't modular - then they impose
a limit on the amount of stuff you can have - so the power supply has to
scale along with everything else.

Having a separate battery box also helps out the railroad guys - who'd presumably
prefer not to have a battery at all.

Certainly, the RCX has a degree of modularity in the sense that its motors
and sensors are not integrated into the unit like in the micro-scout or the
Spybotics line.  I find that to be a REAL plus.

Yes - it's essential for creativity.  When the motors are integrated into the
computer, you are horribly limited in what you can build.  Even simple things
like cranes and robot arms are going to be almost impossible to build with
Spybotics.

Another thing that would be helpful is a way to get RCX to RCX communication
over a wire.

Well, having split the RCX down into entirely separated components, the
question is "Do we allow multiple CPU bricks on the same Bus?" - and I
think the answer can be "Yes" - but how we make the software work under
those circumstances - I don't know.

It kinda sux trying to align two (or more) bulky RCX bricks in
a compact design while still maintaining the IR interface.  With a wire
connection, the RCXs positions and orientations in the robot wouldn't be a
concern.

I'd hope that these new systems could be very much smaller than the RCX.

Other nifty features like voice modules or the power to use the Vision
Command without the dang tether to my PC would be nice, but its the things
above that I have to deal with almost every time I build.

Yes.  I think the focus would need to be on getting a modular RCX replacement
first.  If we pick a suitably common bus standard then these other kinds of
devices can be thought about later.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
        http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net