 Robotics / 18632
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 19:48:23 GMT

Cheers John!

Not really a high-end user, I'm fairly satisfied with the RCX brick with a
few exceptions:

First, it isn't really that robust.  I've got 2 RCX bricks, and both get
amnesia.  Bending out the battery clips reduced the problem in one, but the
other is a write-off.

The modular idea sounds cool, real cool.  At a minimum, it would be most
excellent if the batteries were in their own module and could be connected
to the 'brain' by a wire.  This would greatly aid in compact design and
assist in putting the weight of the robot in the bottom of the design where
it's needed for stability and the console at the top for accessability.
Certainly, the RCX has a degree of modularity in the sense that its motors
and sensors are not integrated into the unit like in the micro-scout or the
Spybotics line.  I find that to be a REAL plus.

Another thing that would be helpful is a way to get RCX to RCX communication
over a wire.  It kinda sux trying to align two (or more) bulky RCX bricks in
a compact design while still maintaining the IR interface.  With a wire
connection, the RCXs positions and orientations in the robot wouldn't be a
concern.

Other nifty features like voice modules or the power to use the Vision
Command without the dang tether to my PC would be nice, but its the things
above that I have to deal with almost every time I build.

Rich Jenkins