 Robotics / 18634
Re: Brainstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:18:42 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, sjbaker1@airmail.net writes:
Richard Jenkins wrote:

The modular idea sounds cool, real cool.  At a minimum, it would be most
excellent if the batteries were in their own module and could be connected
to the 'brain' by a wire.  This would greatly aid in compact design and
assist in putting the weight of the robot in the bottom of the design where
it's needed for stability and the console at the top for accessability.

<snip>

Yes.  I think the focus would need to be on getting a modular RCX replacement
first.  If we pick a suitably common bus standard then these other kinds of
devices can be thought about later.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net

In 'Dave's Little World' (tm), the RCX would start off as one kit you can
buy in the store, much as it is now.  Then, like servos or such, you can buy
add-on's which would snap to the side of the RCX.  These add on kits could be:

motors plus snap-on expansion port to the RCX

Sensors (any type) with, again, snap-on expansion ports to the RCX

So I picture an RCX in the middle, with expansions going out both sides of
the RCX, the left for a slew of motors, the right for a slew of sensors.

There could even be a snap-on which allows a cable running to a remote
snap-on station, such that you can place these snap together modules in
different areas of a robot...

I mean it's completely feasable--it's a 'bus' system (like USB) that can
have 10's and 10's of devices attached to it.  The programmability would be
quite simple--instead of just Motor A B and C, it would be 001-127 :)

But alas, 'DLW' (tm) is just a little fantasy land where I can buy whichever
LEGO set I happen to be in the mood for right now...

So I'm happy with the RCX (have 4) and I'm happy with the new Spybotics, and
I can't wait until I can get them working together--use the Spybotics for
the movement (A-B steering) which'll free up the RCX for 3 other motor uses :)

Dave K