 Robotics / 14200
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 04:49:14 GMT

Tim Hatch wrote:

Would you not lead him off-topic please!!??  There is no Springboard, nor
any in the works for large quantities, that remotely allow you to control
Legos from a Visor.  The closest you can get is attaching the IR tower to
its not-quite-serial port (no pun intended.  Honest) and using LRemote or
BrickRemote to send rudimentary commands, but until the OmniRemote 2.0 for
Developers is released, we have no hope of using the built-in IR on
Palm-style devices (WITH the exclusion of the Agenda, which you (if you know
C) can program yourself, writing ASM hardware controls).

The Springboard is a good idea, but Handspring products do not warrant a

wide enough user base to seem viable to TLG.  Someone here or there might
build their own (but that invalidates their warranty), but it's not feasible
for any company to sell them (I imagine the electrical connector is
copyrighted).

I'm thinking that because a company is selling the bits to make a standard
PALM power robot. (That stupid things with wheels) that someone would make and
sell a standard input/output device. I'm not saying it's going to have LEGO
connectors or be made by LEGO. It's just a natual evolution of the Springboard
port.

Sorry to sound so negative, but that's the truth.  You either gotta be a
hardcore programmer, be an EE, or have no advantage over the UAS remote.

Right now you can use a spring board module that can is compatible with the
Mindstorms IR. True it can only mimic what you can capture. But that's a start.

I'm waiting on buying a hand held until one of them can use NQC and upload
programs and firmware.

It's got to be coming... There's nothing worse then being at a show and the
battery falling out... There goes the brick... Ugg...

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html