 Robotics / 14219
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 19:01:34 GMT

What if we could get the tower circuitry made smaller (as in the classroom
transmitter thread).  It might be put as a 1/4" thick thing that clamps to
the bottom of the device (also have lego studs on it?).  Mr. Baker, could
you tell us if there's any sort of place to grip on the top and bottom?

Is it theoretically possible to create (I'm not talking production, just
personal) a USB adapter that would plug into the serial port, with an app to
use the Legocam?  *That* would be neato-keen.

BTW, Dean, you've sold me.

Tim

----- Original Message -----
From: Dean Husby <nntp@akasa.bc.ca>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2001 9:09 PM
Subject: Re: Searching for alternatives

Steve Baker wrote:

Dean Husby wrote:

For the Agenda VR3d (Developer/Tech version) it's only $179 USD. • That's an incredible
price for what you get.  Even If I had to create one of them little • serial IR devices
that someone mentioned being able to do, that would make me happy. But • if I could use
NQC with the built in IR ports even if it was only a couple of inches • would make me
VERY happy.

I actually own one of these devices - and I agree that it's *just* the • very thing
for Lego robotics.

Some caveats:

  * Whilst it has a 'Commercial IR' port and an 'iRDA' port - the CIR is • output-only.
    It's generally believed that the input iRDA port can be set up to • listen to
    RCX protocol - I have no actual proof of that.

  * The device is still in development - but as an "OpenSource" project, • you can
    buy prototype "developer" units for $179 - so long as you are aware • that all
    the software is in beta - and everything (including the hardware) • could change
    before release as a consumer product.

I think it would be wise to wait until the IR device drivers are • completed before
rushing out and buying one of these machines - but I'm *SURE* that it's • the right
solution for Lego robotics.

Now, if only we could pursuade them to mold some Lego-style stud • receptacles
onto the underside!

I've been reading all I can on the Agenda but so far all I can find • out is that it
has a serial port and a Keyboard/app slot. I haven't seen if it has • any other slots
like a compact flash port or something like the springboard type • slots.

No - the only ports are:

That's a shame. Being this late in the game I would expect to see USB • support and an
expansion slot of some kind.

  * A single physical connector which contains an RS-232 serial port • (which runs at
    pretty high rates) and some pins which are for AgendaComputing's own • use - presumably
    for the external keyboard - which is not available yet.

The keyboard is said to be IR linked.

    The serial port runs at low voltages - there is a little circuit in • one end of the
    cable that boosts the voltage to where a PC can work with it...which • is probably
    powered from the PC itself.

Ah so I'm assuming it's not enough power to power a IR tower if need be? • They claim you can
use it with a modem or phone.

  * The various iR ports.

In addition, there are six buttons - along with a seventh button on the • 'docking station'
which you could presumable wire up to an external switch - the 160x240 • monochrome LCD
display has a touch-sensitive overlay.   There are a couple of other • switches that are
accessible - one that detects when the battery compartment door is • removed (so it can
go into low-power mode while you change the batteries) - another that • detects when the
stylus is in it's docking bay so the machine can be turned on just by • pulling out the
stylus.  There is a recessed reset button and a power switch (which • actually just puts
the machine into low-power mode - there is no real way to turn it off.

The developer machines have 16Mb flash memory and 8Mb RAM - Linux seems • to be consuming
about half of flash memory...and that's going to be replaced with ROM in • the consumer
units whenever they start shipping.

The consumer models will have 2 or 4 megs of Flash ram. I'm assuming that • this is the space
for user programs and data. Am I to understand that the developer version • gives you about
8megs (at this time) free? That does seem like a very good deal. Bang for • the buck type
thing.

Since it runs Linux, there are a dozen ways to communicate with it from • your PC. The
best is to run PPP - which means you can telnet into the machine, use • FTP or rsync or
NFS - anything you can think of to talk to it.  Someone even hacked an • HTTP deamon onto
it so you can use it as a web server!

I noticed it doesn't come with a web browser yet. I'll bet opera or • something would be ported
to it.

*ALL* of the software is available in source code.

I'd like to see this continue for this device. I understand that some • people need to get paid
for hard work but I really like the linux 'way of life'.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html