 Robotics / 14205
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 16:29:34 GMT

"Dean Husby" <nntp@akasa.bc.ca> wrote in message
news:3A7B8DCA.91808413@akasa.bc.ca...

Right now you can use a spring board module that can is compatible with • the
Mindstorms IR. True it can only mimic what you can capture. But that's a • start.

I'm waiting on buying a hand held until one of them can use NQC and upload
programs and firmware.

Ah, but you can!

With my Hewlett-Packard 320 LX, I can connect my Mindstorms IR Tower. I
write NQC programs with Microsoft Pocket Word, then I load up NQCE (NQC for
WindowsCE), and run that under a terminal emulator (CESHELL). It works
beautifully! It sure is nice being able to program on-site without having a
big pesky comptuer around.

As for the IR stuff, I've got a program on my palmtop called "Sky
Commander". You can record IR coming in, and poo it back out. You design
your own interface to send out certain IR strings when you push buttons you
build on the screen. Thus - touch screen interface. This is so cool! Jin
Sato hooked me up with all the info at one of the Toronto competitions.

The address for NQCE:

http://www.oohito.com/mindstorms/index_e.htm

(OMG, I havn't been to that page in a while, there is a FABULOUS new version
of NQCE, called CENQC, which runs just like RCXCC!!!!! No terminal
emultaor/DOS Shell!)

I hope this helps you make the decision to purchase a palmtop runing
WindowsCE! I can not do any of this with my Pilot. The 320LX has been
absolutely a joy. The battery life is phenominal! Weeks on end!

    Iain