 Robotics / 14216
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 03:09:53 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:

Dean Husby wrote:

For the Agenda VR3d (Developer/Tech version) it's only $179 USD. That's an incredible
price for what you get.  Even If I had to create one of them little serial IR devices
that someone mentioned being able to do, that would make me happy. But if I could use
NQC with the built in IR ports even if it was only a couple of inches would make me
VERY happy.

I actually own one of these devices - and I agree that it's *just* the very thing
for Lego robotics.

Some caveats:

  * Whilst it has a 'Commercial IR' port and an 'iRDA' port - the CIR is output-only.
    It's generally believed that the input iRDA port can be set up to listen to
    RCX protocol - I have no actual proof of that.

  * The device is still in development - but as an "OpenSource" project, you can
    buy prototype "developer" units for $179 - so long as you are aware that all
    the software is in beta - and everything (including the hardware) could change
    before release as a consumer product.

I think it would be wise to wait until the IR device drivers are completed before
rushing out and buying one of these machines - but I'm *SURE* that it's the right
solution for Lego robotics.

Now, if only we could pursuade them to mold some Lego-style stud receptacles
onto the underside!

I've been reading all I can on the Agenda but so far all I can find out is that it
has a serial port and a Keyboard/app slot. I haven't seen if it has any other slots
like a compact flash port or something like the springboard type slots.

No - the only ports are:

That's a shame. Being this late in the game I would expect to see USB support and an
expansion slot of some kind.

  * A single physical connector which contains an RS-232 serial port (which runs at
    pretty high rates) and some pins which are for AgendaComputing's own use - presumably
    for the external keyboard - which is not available yet.

The keyboard is said to be IR linked.

    The serial port runs at low voltages - there is a little circuit in one end of the
    cable that boosts the voltage to where a PC can work with it...which is probably
    powered from the PC itself.

Ah so I'm assuming it's not enough power to power a IR tower if need be? They claim you can
use it with a modem or phone.

  * The various iR ports.

In addition, there are six buttons - along with a seventh button on the 'docking station'
which you could presumable wire up to an external switch - the 160x240 monochrome LCD
display has a touch-sensitive overlay.   There are a couple of other switches that are
accessible - one that detects when the battery compartment door is removed (so it can
go into low-power mode while you change the batteries) - another that detects when the
stylus is in it's docking bay so the machine can be turned on just by pulling out the
stylus.  There is a recessed reset button and a power switch (which actually just puts
the machine into low-power mode - there is no real way to turn it off.

The developer machines have 16Mb flash memory and 8Mb RAM - Linux seems to be consuming
about half of flash memory...and that's going to be replaced with ROM in the consumer
units whenever they start shipping.

The consumer models will have 2 or 4 megs of Flash ram. I'm assuming that this is the space
for user programs and data. Am I to understand that the developer version gives you about
8megs (at this time) free? That does seem like a very good deal. Bang for the buck type
thing.

Since it runs Linux, there are a dozen ways to communicate with it from your PC. The
best is to run PPP - which means you can telnet into the machine, use FTP or rsync or
NFS - anything you can think of to talk to it.  Someone even hacked an HTTP deamon onto
it so you can use it as a web server!

I noticed it doesn't come with a web browser yet. I'll bet opera or something would be ported
to it.

*ALL* of the software is available in source code.

I'd like to see this continue for this device. I understand that some people need to get paid
for hard work but I really like the linux 'way of life'.

Dean
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html