 Robotics / 14252
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 18:43:59 GMT

Steve Baker wrote:

Being able to run NQC on the Agenda would be a bonus - and a bonus that
*should* just be a matter of typing 'make' to rebuild NQC for the Agenda,
no special version would be needed.

The new version of the Agenda Kernel that *should* allow me to drive
the RCX without the Lego IR Tower is due out in just a few days - then
we'll know for sure.

Are you attempting the NQC 'port' to the agenda? Please make sure you let us all
know how it's going.

Here's the four main things I think we all want:
1. Use it as a Remote (1 -255, motors etc)
2. Download Firmware to RCX
3. Download programs Via NQC (and others)
4. Be able to monitor the IR port for message codes and sensor variables.

when you can plug in your Mindstorms IR
Tower to your WindowsCE palmtop, download freeware CENQC, and begin
progarmming right away?

If you *ONLY* want to use NQC, yes.  But if you want to write large,
complex AI programs and have them drive the robot from an on-board
computer, then I don't think Wince is a good choice because I strongly
*suspect* that the tools and API documentation needed for writing new
Wince programs are *far* from free.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Dean
--