 Robotics / 14256
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 00:45:54 GMT

Tim Hatch wrote:

Most of what has been discussed has been "How to make Palms or Agendas
communicate using IR with 1 or more RCX bricks."  I also considered for a
while how to do as you say and have the PDA itself power the robot, but if
you do so, you'll need a heftier power source than a pair of AAAs.

Right - which is why I only want to use the PDA as the 'brains' of the
robot with the RCX acting as a 'slave' that deals only with the low level
mechanisms.

If you
need more inputs (and speed is not an issue), why not use a couple of Scouts
connected using IR to an RCX and maybe an Agenda also?

Well, I think speed (of communications) *is* an issue - but short of redesigning
the RCX/Scouts, I'm stuck with it.

My plan is to put enough low level intelligence into the Lego computers to deal
with immediate responses...with the PDA dictating the higher level 'strategy'.

That should keep the comms bandwidth down to acceptable levels.

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>