 Robotics / 14257
14256  |  14258
Subject:
OmniRemote and Mindstorms Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 01:49:48 GMT

I had lunch with Charlie today, and we discussed the Mindstorms IR on
pilot issue somewhat.

First of all; Someone did send him an email, and he's sorry he hasn't
gotten anywhere useful with a reply. He's been fairly busy.

Lego actually contacted him about this issue some time ago, but there
was no resolution there.

Basically, OmniRemote 2.0 will be seperated into a IR Library and the OR
application. OR 2.0 will use the library. If you have OR installed, you
will be able to use the library for other things. He may also sell the
library seperately. I'm sorry to inform you that it is likely to never
be free, but it's cheap, and OR is one of the coolest palm apps ever
anyway. The library is likely to be inexpensive if sold alone.

Perhaps one day Lego will license the OR library, and then you'll get it
for free with a later version of RIS, but one never knows. It seems
unlikely, but you can always cross some digits.

Charlie is definitely interested in getting this problem solved; More
users means more revenue. It's unclear whether or not one will be able
to use the palm IR as an interface, but you should be able to at least
run a ported version of NQC (which does not exist today) to compile
code, and upload it to your RCX, and at least receive IR messages and
watch their contents.