 Robotics / 14124
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 01:34:14 GMT

Patricio Valarezo wrote:

Hi, my question is as follow:
The RCX´s main components are the CPU and the i/o interfaces. Do you know of someone
working to make a common computer ( using linux) with some hardware for i/o than works like the RCX?

Not that I know of - but I think it would be hard to make something as convenient as
the RCX from the point of view of nice packaging, connectors that fit the weird Lego
electrical connectors (those are pretty clever - take the time to figure out how they
work)...etc.

I think the way forward is to treat the RCX as a 'slightly intelligent' peripheral driver
for a 'real' computer with some serious power.  That's why I bought an Agenda palmtop (although
I *don't* have it working with RCX *yet*).  It's about 1/4 the size of the RCX and doesn't add
much to it's bulk...do all the smart stuff in the palmtop (which runs full-blown Linux) - and
have it send high-ish level commands to the RCX (eg "Go 20 feet forwards - tell me when you
get there or if something bad happens along the way").

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>