 Robotics / 14224
Re: Searching for alternatives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 03:28:23 GMT

Tim Hatch wrote:

What if we could get the tower circuitry made smaller (as in the classroom
transmitter thread).  It might be put as a 1/4" thick thing that clamps to
the bottom of the device (also have lego studs on it?).  Mr. Baker, could
you tell us if there's any sort of place to grip on the top and bottom?

Well, if you want to hang it of the serial connector (which is *minute* BTW),
then the connector itself might be good enough.

The case has two small holes (about a millimeter in diameter - two millimeters
deep) that are either side of the serial connector.  Dunno if those would
help much.

At the other end of the Agenda there is the hinge for the screen cover (a big
plastic flap) - that is un-pluggable - leaving two more small holes you could
attach into.  Not terribly Lego-compatible I'm afraid.

I would think in terms of removing the four screws that hold the Agenda's case
together from underneath - and replacing them with longer screws threaded through
a couple of 2x10 plates with some spacers.  The actual unit is just a little wider
than the RCX - and about a third as thick.

Is it theoretically possible to create (I'm not talking production, just
personal) a USB adapter that would plug into the serial port, with an app to
use the Legocam?  *That* would be neato-keen.

Well - I guess.  There has been talk of USB-to-serial adaptors - but I doubt
they'd be much good for something high bandwidth like a camera.

Also, I don't think the interface specs for the Lego camera are available
are they?  The Agenda doesn't run Windoze!

--
Steve Baker   HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
              WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>