 People / Support / 82
Re: Worst of the worst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people.support
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:30:06 GMT

In lugnet.people.support, Elroy Davis wrote:
I think that's what started this all (again) in the first place.  None of
you has any respect for each other.

...or for the rest of us who read Lugnet, the vast majority of whom I would bet
don't care one jot about these individuals nor their petty reasons for lobbing
mud at one another here.

I don't know any of the parties involved.  I've never met any of you.
In fact, I generally just ignore Lugnet for a few weeks when this stuff
gets going (again), occasionally checking in to see if anyone is posting
MOCs for a change.

I mostly agree with you, Elroy, except that I'd go so far to say that when
nonsense like this thread starts to fill up Lugnet, I'm almost sickened enough
to not want to come back to Lugnet.  Ever.

Can both sides just let it go, or at the very least, stick to private e-mails?

Yes, please!

Admins, if there are any of you listening, here is at least one vote for
locking this thread.

Elroy, you have a second for this recommendation.

I know that historically Lugnet administration has maintained a fairly
laissez-faire, hands-off attitude towards the content of the postings here,
because that's what the community seems to want, but I have to say that it's not
a position I am strongly in favor of.  I'm an administrator at an unrelated
(non-brick) discussion forum with over 16,000 members worldwide.  We would have
stamped on a pissing match like this one fairly quickly, to avoid alienating and
wasting the time of 15,990 of the members (even if doing so upset the other 10).
We don't have a lot of rules at our forum, but we do expect a certain level of
respect to be demonstrated by our members towards one another, and if they're
consistently unable - or unwilling - to play by those rules, they aren't allowed
to play in our sandbox anymore.