 Administrative / General / 13659
Re: Worst of the worst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:28:57 GMT

In lugnet.people.support, Suzanne Rich wrote:
In lugnet.people.support, Elroy Davis wrote:
[snip]
Admins, if there are any of you listening, here is at least one vote for
locking this thread.

-Elroy

[this entire incident aside]

I'm not sure if thread locking is even do-able. I think it was talked about a
few months ago (privately). Jerry would know if it's possible, and then it would
be up to René as to how/when to execute such a practice.

Okay, here's the big issue: LUGNET is based on an NNTP server, and the news
system does not support such a thing as thread locking, since threads are only
made up by matching subjects (and some header info) in the very first place.
Enhancing the NNTP server so as to accommodate things like locking would
basically mean reinventing the wheel. Several times.

We _could_ try to implement thread locking for web-based posting (which is what
most users do anyway, and which is the main reason why other bulletin board
systems support moderating features like locking), but continuing a thread
through the NNTP or mail-to-news gateways will still work. Not exactly what I
would call elegant.

I think the main concern here is that threads like the one spinning off this
discussion keep being spotlighted to the front page - and this is actually
something we _can_ sort out, as the spotlighting feature is purely web-based.
Everything that offers only one way of access (preferrably the web) is fairly
easily modified or enhanced. I'll take a look at the current implementation and
try to figure out a useful modification.

I'm afraid the only other alternative would be to actually cancel such threads,
and that is something I'd rather not start doing.

Regards,

Jerry