 Administrative / General / 13670
Re: Worst of the worst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 23:26:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Timothy Gould wrote:

   If people now highlight your post they are saying they agree with you rather than Richie. Thus his system would work.

Not quite, and it’s not my system - it’s the system we have now, and it’s a system that will work if we choose to use it. If the community doesn’t want this sort of stuff highlighting, then they need to highlight the things that they want to see.

   With a negative spotlight you allow people to treat things negatively without giving a valid alternative which is needlesly negative in my opinion. With Richie’s system all it takes is one person to give a reason why they disagree and the masses can speak either way.

Again, not quite. It’s not about giving a reason they disagree, it’s about someone providing something worth spotlighting, and then someone else (or a whole lot of someone elses) spotlighting it.

   With yours a post that noone cared about would look the same as one which divides the community which is a loss of information. Like only writing out the margin of victory for the winner of an election without supplying the total number of people who voted.

I would hesitate to equate spotlighting with voting. If you want a vote on something, it should be done with a poll (however flawed, it’s going to be better - and not interfere with highlighting good stuff), rather than spotlighting.

Spotlighting is about selecting headlines, not about agreeing on editorial content.

Cheers

Richie Dulin