 Off-Topic / Debate / 27895
Re: Worst of the worst
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:06:54 GMT

   My name and my “strange use of phrasing and language” are my own

My apologies. It read just like something Eric would write.

   I commented on this issue as I believe I recognize the behavior being demonstrated by some of the people on this forum. I have been involved in resolving many cases of bullying in a professional capacity both in schools and in the workplace. It is quite common to come across situations in which bullies torment a victim until the victim snaps and either threatens or commits violence on the tormentors. The bullies then complain to some authority about the victim’s behavior! If the victim is unlucky, authority sides with the bullies.

Do you use statements like “You repeat your childishness to no effect.” in your professional capacity? I certainly hope not since that is one of the least professional responses I’ve ever read.

There is and has been attacking of Eric by multiple people, that cannot be denied. There is also good reason for it which if you troubled yourself to read back you would discover. If someone is constantly behaving in a rude, self-centered manner to those around them I’m not surprised that their victims might turn around en masse. Does it make it bullying? I’m not sure if it does or doesn’t but I would say it was fair game.

The fact that you didn’t bother to check out the past leads me to suspect you are more in this because you have had issues as a victim of bullying rather than out of any genuine care for resolving the situation in a real way. It is also rather unprofessional. Do you just waltz into a company or school and take one persons word and your initial observations and run from there?

   Unfortunately, many bullies do not recognize their bullying behavior and need help to overcome it just as much as their victims. Such behavior is often a childish development but sometimes carries over into later life. It is also an unfortunate fact that bully involving the use of electronic communications is becoming more and more common. We should not tolerate it on this or any other forum.

I recognise quite clearly that I may be bullying Eric or at least it may be perceived as such. I do weigh up what is and isn’t acceptable before posting stuff in public however. Perhaps sometimes I land on the more nasty side but I do make a decision each time. After the way Eric has treated so many people (myself included) I feel absolutely no shame in most of what I post. I have in the past defended Eric but after I disagreed with him once or twice (in a non bullying way) and he responded by threatening to punch me I stopped that.

As for saying what should or should not be tolerated, I will let you on a little secret, bullying is forbidden on Lugnet. That is one reason why I didn’t post the picture here, it would be a violation of the TOS which I have agreed to. JLug however has a policy of non-moderation. I was not aware that Eric still frequents it since he seems to dislike it so much but I should have known he would since he likes to find things to link to.

   Arthur (Steven Edward) Clarke

Tim Gould