 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9249
9248  |  9250
Subject:
What is shaping up to be the most posted-on rtl event in the history of rtl events....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:37:21 GMT

Lets hearken back to the 'good ol' days' when we did a competition a few times
in a row, such as, say, marble sorting and brick stacking.  What would happen
was that a person showed up for said event, attempt it, and, during the course
of the event, realize that, "Hey, my 'bot could do better if I changed this or
that" and the competitor would go home and change this or that and come back to
the next competition to see how the improvements functioned.  As well, other
people who didn't enter a 'bot in the first competition could see how it may
have been attempted and then go home and build an entry for the next
competition.

There were times, to be sure, when a subsequent competitions would be redundant,
such as 'monkey bars' 'cause the winning solution for the first was so
brilliantly designed, that endeavouring to beat it would be impractical.

That said, the 'rice game' could be an event that could be redone, and there may
be more entries the next time it's attempted (seeing as how I ahve no weddings
on the 31st of January).

Where Connect 4 is concerned, I think it'd be an interesting game, but like
Bruce, I have doubts about the 'entertainment' value (not that everything comes
down to entertaiment).  Project X was exciting for the builders, not so much for
the audience.  Project X was also relatively speedy, being that it was a 4x4
grid.

The bottom line is that I will be purchasing a Connect 4 board and starting to
build a robot for said board asap.  I just think that, all things being equal,
we could probably re-run a past event, and hopefully improve on designs.  I've
entered 3 blockstacking competitions and each 'bot was different, and, as shown,
an improvement on the previous 'bot.

Dave K