 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9302
Re: What is shaping up to be the most posted-on rtl event in the history of rtl events....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:59:29 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Greg Hyland wrote:

a) Deliberately make simpler games.  Probably not a viable option considering
the general direction of the core group.

And the general direction of the core group being what? Not showing up? Not
bringing a robot?

I was just about to say.  If the general direction of the "core group" is to
this ultra hard stuff (Connect 4 programming), it scares me.  Because when I'm
building I get discouraged, and stop, because it's just too hard.  IE, the rice
game, project x...  Come to think of it, I honestly can't remember the last time
I built a robot.  :(

Then I guess newcomers like me will be losing interest in being involved.

Not just you, I've felt pretty distant from the past few competitions as well.
I think I just complain too much.  :(

I tried building a robot for this last competition, I really did.  I think I
sent videoclips to Rob of the base I had.  It could get to the rice pit in under
2 seconds and was accurate to about 1 mm.  But then I got stuck and discouraged
because the only solution I could come up with was far too complex, and I
realised I just didn't have the skill to make something like that work.

    Iain