 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9322
Re: What is shaping up to be the most posted-on rtl event in the history of rtl events....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:07:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ka-On Lee wrote:

I don't understand why I keep hearing about Project X being hard.  It's not
"easy", but it's one of the easiest game I have participated.  I think prj. X
and bridge crossing had the highest number of contestant, and most of them were
successful.

The programming was far beyond my capability.  That's why I said it was hard.
How it *wasn't* impossible for anyone else is beyond me.  I simply do not
understand that kind of logic in programming, at all!  Where do you even start?

This just shows how spiffily different we all are...

The programming used in X seems fairly straighforward (conceptually) to me...
just scan the board to see what's there and put things from where they ain't
supposed to be to where they is.

You could get all slick and use optimising moves and stuff to try to move the
shortest distances but a brute force scan would work, just iterate across the
positions till you're done.

On the other hand, the mechanisms to do this *reliably* (scanners, x and y
motion, grippers etc etc etc) seem terrifically *hard* to me. Probably not to a
robot jock like you or a whiz kid like Christopher Magno('s AA who has been
secretly building his stuff all along), but that's the bit about us being
different, see?

Hence that's maybe why Calum was talking about modular robots to allow different
people to do what they do best.

++Lar (PS: Shivering Timbers in a driving rain is much faster and smoother than
it is on a sunny day)