 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9276
Re: What is shaping up to be the most posted-on rtl event in the history of rtl events....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 02:57:16 GMT

Lets hearken back to the 'good ol' days' when we did a competition a few times
in a row, such as, say, marble sorting and brick stacking.  What would happen
was that a person showed up for said event, attempt it, and, during the course
of the event, realize that, "Hey, my 'bot could do better if I changed this or
that" and the competitor would go home and change this or that and come back to
the next competition to see how the improvements functioned.  As well, other
people who didn't enter a 'bot in the first competition could see how it may
have been attempted and then go home and build an entry for the next
competition.

I've been thinking sort of the same thing. I walk away from every event thinking
"I have a new idea or solution for this. I wish I could ahve another chance."
The rice game is definatly something I could do again, and better (and sadly, i
don't know if I can make it to the Hobby Show competition, as I'm a guest at a
funny book show that same weekend. Crap.)

I've been thinking, as a sort of new member, that I'd like to play some of the
games that I missed... even though it's all block sorting or stacking or
whatever. These events are more at my level of ability. I was sort of happy to
hear the pipe-racer idea was out, as I thought it was beyond my skills (even
after seeing what people did at BrickFest), however the Connect 4 idea is also
something beyond my abilities, which is dissapointing for me because I'll be
there, but I won't have anything to enter.

There was talk on the BrickFest trip about having "junior" level events, or
fiding a way to make the event easier in some ways (like just being able to pick
up a brick in the rice, and not worry about sorting, which is what I ended up
doing). I don't know what became of this... and I know it would be pretty hard
to run two events at once. So I don't know what the solution is.

Maybe I'll just have to get more in to trains.

-Greg H