 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9303
Re: What is shaping up to be the most posted-on rtl event in the history of rtl events....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:36:06 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Greg Hyland wrote:

<snip>

b) Deliberately make simpler games as a side event.  Possible, but requires
someone to organize said event.  ie, Dave was talking about a rerun of
marblesorting.  So, someone go do it.  I will gladly upload a "secondary" event
ruleset as long as someone is willing to coordinate it and take responsibility
for it.

K, I 'volunteer' (stop with the arm twisting, Magno!)

I'm bringing my 4x4 arena to the next competition for marble sorting.

Since I have the playfield, I list the rules!

This one's going to be called "Marble Sorting 4 1/2 -- the smaller sequel"

Since the board, dimensionally, is half the size (4 foot by 4 foot instead of 8
foot  by 8 foot), the 'bots have to be smaller as well--8inches x 8 inches x 8
inches max

There will be a black 8" x 8" square painted in one corner, and the opposite
corner will have a white 8" x 8" square painted.  Your 'bot will start in one of
these squares, to be determined at the start of the match.

Whichever colour you start on is the colour of marble you must collect.  I.e. if
you start on teh black square, you collect black marbles *only*.

Near the end of 3 minutes (cut down on time as well--the 'smaller sequel' and
all that) your bot must bring the sorted marbles back to your starting square.
Only the marbles located directly above the square will be counted.  If your
'bot is only parked partly on the square, and, if you used one, your hopper with
the marbles in it is not over the starting square, the marbles don't count.

Scoring wil lbe similar to the rice game

Each correct marble on the starting square = +1
Each incorrect marble on the starting square = -2

I like the idea of using the smaller playfield so that we don't take up the
entire center of the room with that huge playfield, and the focus can be on
either the marble or the connect 4.  Transportation is also easier.

Quick, compact, and, hopefully, fun competition.

<snip>

Then I guess newcomers like me will be losing interest in being involved.

-Greg

There ya go Greg--simple marble sorting 'bot to keep your interest up.

Dave K