 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9267
Re: What is shaping up to be the most posted-on rtl event in the history of rtl events....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:34:57 GMT

Rob Stehlik wrote:
This sounds good in principle, but I think it really depends on the competition.
I, for one saw lots of room for improvement on my projectX robot. I wanted to
get my anti-X time down to the single digits :) As it turned out, nobody wanted
to do it again, which is fine. Sometimes people just get sick of something even
after the first competition. I think rice is like that. It was so stinking hard
that I'm sure not many people would want to do it again.

I'd be into doing project X again, but it would reach the point where we
are looking for milli second improvements in time, rather then seconds.

I didn't do rice this time, but after watching it I'd be interested in
giving it a try.

If we are going to redo this, I want to know soon, since I am itching to take my
robot apart.

Take it apart and start from scratch if we do it again.  My feeling is
that it should be a next year kind of thing instead of in a month or two.

Yes, I think this is a problem. We defenitely have to encourage speed in this
game. 30 seconds per move is WAY too long. How about 15 seconds per move?

Instead of talking time per move, we should talking maximum game length.
  Say 10 minutes, then give each robot half that time to make it's
moves.  So in this case 5 minutes each.  Then game times are controlled
and you can spend more time thinking about a particular move if you wish
to, and less time when the move is obvious.

Derek