 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16555
Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 4 Aug 2006 12:55:18 GMT

Brian Davis wrote:

   One problem (or at least challenge) with the soccer/baseketball idea. To a
light sensor, they have the potential to look exactly the same (i.e. - tell the
two of them apart with high accuracy is not an easy thing to do).

um, we talked about this a LOT for the C$ game.

in theory, you DONT need to even use a light sensor.  in fact. didnt
your leader only use touch for his C$?

Chris

Yes, touch sensors can be used, in fact none of the 3T robots that I am aware of
actually used light sensors to directly detect the color of the blocks for
tic-tac-toe (some used light sensors indirectly).

Of course, you don't actually have to be able to sense the difference between
the soccer balls and basketballs, so long as you can tell "ball present" from
"no ball present".  As Brian points out, it is a challenge, but not a
deal-breaker by any means.

I kinda like the idea of using balls, it could mean much more compact robots
than the ones we built for our Tic-Tac-Toe event, and could have made some of
the mechanisms much easier.  They would also be less likely to have an edge get
caught on something and land unevenly-- especially given that the balls don't
have edges.

John