 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16550
Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:32:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

At first I didn't see the big deal with "non-flat" cubes...
Most of the robots carried the cubes as low as possible (just
above the cubes already played) and drop them from there.

   There wer a couple of reason for wanting flat cubes, and the fact that many
of us only had about a plate worth of clearence between the cube placing/sensing
assembly and a filled cell below was one of these issues. As to sensing, we used
black/white cubes over a green baseplate, which caused some interesting problems
by itself... but ended up generating a lot more interesting solutions than the
"simply" alternative. At first, I hated that green baseplate. Now, I think it
was a good (if unanticipated) aspect.

On the other hand, leaving the board as-is will give better builders
another challenge to solve...

   I'd agree with Steve on this. It's a problem that can be worked around via
mechanical design, and a slight penalty for a "nudge" allows not-quite-perfect
robots into the contest.

   Other perks are that (a) it's really easy to make two robots that play
Tic-Tac-Toe against each other play against kids/visitors. Our 3T entries are
big draws at any show we've been to, and (b) watching two completely autonomous
robots play against each other is... simply captivating. The first time we tried
this, we only had two machines that could accomplish a game, and all the games
were draws... and we still watched them play it out again and again. But then
again, maybe we're just easy to entertain.

--
Brian Davis