 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16510
Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:38:08 GMT

On Tue, August 1, 2006 2:00 pm, Calum Tsang wrote:
Vi tali Fur man wrote:
How about autonomous tic-tac-toe, since this competition is scheduled to be a
little more complex, maybe we could run a tic-tac-toe game. It should be easier
then connect four, so more people should be able to build for it.

The problem with tic-tac-toe is we'll have a day full of ties.

Now I'd love to build a tic-talc-toe playing robot. I was thinking of
doing this with an NXT and design it so kids could play against it.  But
as a contest I can't see it working.

It's already been done by another group:

http://www.laflrc.org/3T/

I'm not sure how successful it was...Steve?

It was actually very successful, and fun.

The thing we did to avoid ties was to have the time-to-play be the tiebreaker.
(each pair played two games, and each robot went first, once)  At the last minute,
we decided to allow people to touch cubes, to make sure they were placed flat.  This
rule made the game easier.  I don't really think any of the games were decided by
time.

Here were our results:
http://news.lugnet.com/org/us/laflrc/?n=341

Don't shy away from Tic-Tac-Toe because it sounds too deterministic.  Yes, when
adults play, the games will be a tie.  But we're talking about robots playing.

In the end, the game is very much like Project X, with a little more (different?)
logic on how to move/place the cubes.

Steve