 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16488
  rtlToronto22 Ideas?

So...rtl21 was pretty good. As traditional, onwards to the next game...even number rtlToronto games tend to be "harder" (eg rtl10: Project X, rtl14: Rice, rtl16: Ropeclimbers etc) so this one should be a difficult one. What should it be? Vitali (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) I wanted to toss out one more though. One of the more common restrictions for most RTL events is starting size for a robot. In some cases the challenges have been specifically designed to work against this (bridge building, rope climbing, even (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) I was actually thinking of a Trucktrial competition ((URL)) you can search for some more on brickshelf there are more pictures. The only difference is that we can use the RC setup, instead of the wired setup they have. (...) He is not my (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) So, if an outsider can ask a question-- have you guys ever done anything that's quasi "team" oriented? Like, with soccer, for instance, let's say that everyone builds player bots. Not necessarily limited to a position like "goalie" or (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) That would be a really neat competition...especially the upturned car wrecks and all :) (...) Alas, I get you guys confused again. John's big on another RC racing, even if we keep the same "rules". Which we'll probably do. At dinner we talked (...) (18 years ago, 31-Jul-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, FTX)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

How about autonomous tic-tac-toe, since this competition is scheduled to be a little more complex, maybe we could run a tic-tac-toe game. It should be easier then connect four, so more people should be able to build for it. Vitali (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) The problem with tic-tac-toe is we'll have a day full of ties. Now I'd love to build a tic-talc-toe playing robot. I was thinking of doing this with an NXT and design it so kids could play against it. But as a contest I can't see it working. (...) (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) It's already been done by another group: (URL) not sure how successful it was...Steve? Calum (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) It was actually very successful, and fun. The thing we did to avoid ties was to have the time-to-play be the tiebreaker. (each pair played two games, and each robot went first, once) At the last minute, we decided to allow people to touch (...) (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote: <snip> (...) I'm liking this idea--it combines the wonderfulness of 'anti-x' banter and the connect 4 logic. I'm in Dave K (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) I can play five moves in 5.2 seconds... (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) I'm beginning to like this idea too.. but maybe not have the "touching" rule? Eventhough there is a simple solution in programming to guarantee a tie, that assumes perfectly functioning mechanicals... which is rarely the case. Either way, I'm (...) (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) Right. In a true competition, helping the robot should not be allowed. However adding this rule did not penalize a "good" robot in our event. It just prevented us from stopping games mid-way and saying "that cube is not flat. You lose. Game (...) (18 years ago, 1-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) OK, I understand Steve. Makes more sense than infinite do-overs or whatever. At first I didn't see the big deal with "non-flat" cubes - but then the light bulb went off, and I realized that if they're not flat, they can't be scanned by the (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) See that's the problem I have with 3T...it's bankrupt by default. Same with ProjectY...we're all making the assumption most entries won't work properly, so don't worry that the outcome is deterministic is a non issue. It seems to me kind of (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) The easiest way is to cover the board with tiles. However, that's a bunch of tiles, and not everyone has that available (after they've made the cubes). On the other hand, leaving the board as-is will give better builders another challenge to (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote: <snip> (...) I'm liking this idea more and more. I like the time factor to help determine the winner and I like the time penalty for every 'touch'. It's just like Project X except one row and (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) We didn't do a "time penalty" for touching. That could make it so a very-fast, very-sloppy robot could win against a very-slow, very-accurate robot. If you have to help your robot play, you should lose to someone who doesn't have to help their (...) (18 years ago, 2-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) ummm... NO (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

Is there a reason to use square blocks? Just to make it a harder material handling problem? How about a shape more amenable to handling...say something with handles? -Rob A> (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) How about two different shapes. May I suggest Xs and Os. Derek (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) hummmmmm how about soccer balls? They have 2 colours?(1) Orange basket balls, and the white soccer ones.(2) Now i have to go and find my Project X if's code. geesh. Chris Project X 2nd PLACE winner 1. or we could reuse the black and white (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) One problem (or at least challenge) with the soccer/baseketball idea. To a light sensor, they have the potential to look exactly the same (i.e. - tell the two of them apart with high accuracy is not an easy thing to do). (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) um, we talked about this a LOT for the C$ game. in theory, you DONT need to even use a light sensor. in fact. didnt your leader only use touch for his C$? Chris (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) There wer a couple of reason for wanting flat cubes, and the fact that many of us only had about a plate worth of clearence between the cube placing/sensing assembly and a filled cell below was one of these issues. As to sensing, we used (...) (18 years ago, 3-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) Yes, touch sensors can be used, in fact none of the 3T robots that I am aware of actually used light sensors to directly detect the color of the blocks for tic-tac-toe (some used light sensors indirectly). Of course, you don't actually have to (...) (18 years ago, 4-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) Yeah, good point. I forget that, as I was one of the few (was I the only?) person who built a robot that *did* care about the color of the blocks. In the original plan, we had two other rules or guidelines: (a) white goes first, and (b) (...) (18 years ago, 5-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(Sorry, I'm just jumping in here to post, I didn't see a good part in this thread to hop in at...) But my question is, like - how do you program for tic tac toe? How did people figure out how to program for Project X? That's what I don't get. I (...) (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) for me, it came as 8 "conditions" nested with 8 locations. 1. scan the board, 2. was block in the correct location or empty? 3. take FIRST block in the wrong location, and put it in the FIRST location that needed a block. go to 2. 64 NESTED (...) (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) (URL) is your friend... -Rob A> (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: rtlToronto22 Ideas?

(...) OMG, massive ADD moment. I saw pages of text and instantly clicked X. Bicycles with streamers!??!! WOOOOO!!!!! Iain (18 years ago, 7-Aug-06, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)