 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10434
10433  |  10435
Subject:
Quite C and BrickOS (WAS: Re: Steve H, C$, me learning C Brick OS)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:20:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

if someone can explain in SIMPLE words, how to take a bit of obfuscated
c code and turn it into something my RCX likes, I'm all ears!

not going to happen.

It's not that I don't want to.  I'd love to explain it, but it's just not
simple.

Is there any particular reason why no one seems to be using Francesco Ferrara’s
‘Quite C’ (http://digilander.libero.it/ferrarafrancesco/lego/qc/)?
I’m not a programmer by calling, so the “finer differences” are neither apparent
nor important to me. As far as I can tell QC is basically build on the same
principle as BrickOS – it uses a standard C compiler and when uploaded it
replaces the RCX firmware allowing the entire memory bank to be used. However
one difference I have noticed is ease of installation and use – entire process
works nicely under the good’old DOS prompt with out any Unix nonsense.
Considering I have very little experience with C (i.e. *none*, not counting NQC)
I was able to get a “Hello World” code running on my RCX with-in 5 minutes, 3 of
which I spent looking for a fresh 9v battery for the IR tower. :))
So back to my question, can some one please insight me as to what’s “wrong” with
Quite C?

Ivan
- Fish do not like coffee